There has been a theological college at Cuddesdon for over 160 years. Cuddesdon College was established in 1854 by Bishop Samuel Wilberforce, whose vision was for a college independent of any specific Church faction, and with a focus on the discipline of daily prayer and spiritual formation. A merger with Ripon Hall in the 1970s, forming Ripon College Cuddesdon, brought in new resources and fresh thinking, and helped develop a new and open approach to theological study.
The incorporation of the Oxford Ministry Course in 2006 (now the Part-time Pathway of Ripon College Cuddesdon), the West of England Ministerial Training Course in 2011 (now renamed Cuddesdon Gloucester & Hereford) and the Portsmouth Pathway Cuddesdon in 2015 has enabled the College to offer a wide range of outstanding part-time courses that have been well established for over forty years.
Through our partnership with Church Mission Society, we are also able to offer training for Ordained Pioneer Ministers.
In 2012, the remaining Sisters from two Anglican religious orders - St John Baptist and The Good Shepherd - joined the College community. They provide a praying presence throughout the year and offer spiritual direction, Quiet Days and guided retreats.